Movember, one of the leading organizations for men’s health, aims to address the most significant health issues faced by men in this day and age — prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and mental health with their No-Shave November campaign.
So, how can you participate?
Why Grow a Beard to Raise Awareness About Men’s Health
Men have a five-year lower expectancy than women, and one in two men will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. What’s more, 12.1% of adult men are in poor health.
The “No-shave November” movement is a fun way to raise awareness and to give men the confidence to talk about health issues that affect them.
Tips To Improve Your Health and Beard Growth
A healthy body and beard don’t happen by accident. Consider these tips to improve both:
- Eat a balanced diet that includes vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and lean proteins for healthier hair growth. Some essential nutrients that may aid hair growth are Vitamin A and B vitamins, especially Biotin and Vitamin C.
- Exercising boosts up testosterone, a hormone that can encourage hair growth.
- Not having enough time or quality of sleep can reduce the testosterone in your body. If you’re not sleeping enough, this may cause slower hair growth.
- Skin Care. Not only is it important to grow your hair for health awareness, but you also need to do it hygienically. Wash your face with gentle, natural soap and moisturize the skin with lotion or oil. Some people swear by castor or coconut oil to facilitate healthy hair growth.
How to Maintain a Beard
Follow these steps to maintain that beautiful beard:
Trim your beard. Hair doesn’t always grow at the same rate, so regular trimming must always keep them at the same length. The rule of thumb is, shorter hair needs more regular trimming. Full beards usually require just a couple of trims in a week.
- Keep it clean. Just like the hair on your head, regular shampooing and conditioning will make your beard clean and lustrous. If you’re willing to go the extra mile, invest in a beard wash and conditioner, as they’re gentler on the skin on your face.
- Style and tame your hair with a few care products. After cleaning your beard, apply a few drops of beard oil and style it with a beard comb.
- Get the right tools. If you’re serious about maintaining your facial hair, do it right by investing in quality, medical-grade products.
Aside from cleaning and styling products, keep a beard trimmer or a rotary shaver in your bathroom toolkit for an easier and cleaner trim.
Guide to Shaving Again After Men’s Health Awareness Month
It’s important to have the right tools, routine, and technique for safer, more professional shaving. Here’s a step-by-step guide to getting a smoother, more comfortable shave from the Academy of Dermatology Association.
Simply Medical is your one-stop shop for all your shaving needs, including razors, shaving cream, and aftershave. So what is a better way there to celebrate the end of health month than to shave all that hair with professional and medical grade shaving products? End this year’s Men’s Health Awareness Month right with Simply Medical.